Tuesday, August 30, 2011

35 Songs


1       Hear me now/and don’t forget/ I’m not the man my actions would suggest.
2.      Sometimes I’m on a case/ Sometimes I’m shooting bad dudes/ Sometimes I’m slashing their face/ Sometimes I’m looking for clues
3.      I’m going for a walk/not the after-dinner kind
4.      When I get to the bottom/ I go back to the top/ Of the slide/ Where I stop and turn around and go for a ride/ Until I get to the bottom and see you again.

5.      If I was young/ It didn’t stop you coming through
6.      Time has washed away, now I may wonder
7.      Poor Thing/ Poor Thing/ Do you have a sister?

8.      Sat down for a drink/ In her fathers favorite chair
9.      Tried to kill it all away…but I remember everything
10.    You might say no/ But I hope you mean maybe

11.    There was a fanfare blowing to the sun/ that was floating on the breeze…
12.   Float upon the waves…Float upon the waves…Float upon the waves…With nothing to return to/ But the demons in their cage
13.   Walking through the grass/ another bald next to you from the ground
14.   We can Rendezvous and hide away…Don’t you know…that we’re in paradise?

15.   Hand of fate is moving/ and the finger points to you
16.   So fragile, yet so devious…She continues to sin
17.   She lights a match/ and pretends to sleep while everything burns
18.   We just can’t pretend that lovers make amends

19.   I see a spark of light shining…I hear a young minstrel sing…of Joy and sorrow…there is a love in me raging…a joyous and magical feeling…
20.   When I’m down I make a call/ Got your number on the wall/ first it’s busy then I try again/ who’s she talking to, could it be him/ I got a number and it starts to ring/ I get excited and I start to dream…
21.   …Shove all your problems under the rug/ Then wonder where the smell came from…
22.    I play a track from your record collection/ It’s your mix; Congratulations
23.   Do you think I’m blind/ Don’t know the score/Can’t see…You wanna get high at the sky/ You’re kissing your life goodbye/ You think it’s a game/ You think it’s a game you play…
24.   And now that we’re through/ I just don’t know what to do/ I just don’t know what to do with myself/ don’t know what to do with myself…LIKE A SUMMER ROSE/ SOUTHERN RAIN/ I NEED YOU…Sweet love…Well…I don’t know what to do with myself…

25.   Do I still feel all right/ Or do I walk on by/ How do I recognize a friend/ How do I realize/ How do I read those eyes/ How do I recognize the end…  WHY AM I HERE/ WHY ARE YOU OVER THERE/ At the other end of…
26.   One by one, the pieces fall/ Tell me what it is to believe… you can tell the change by their faces…

27.   What can I do/ I’m a nervous wreck/ there are, girls everywhere/ better go and check/ I can’t tell the girl…from a whole in the ground.
28.   I’m the same as I was/ When I was six years old/ and Oh my God, I feel so damn old, I really don’t feel anything…The universe works on a math equation that never even ever really even is gonna end/ In it inspires our creations…
29.   Thanks for all you’ve shown us/ this is how we feel… Come sit next to me/ Pour yourself some tea/ Just like grandma made/ When we couldn’t buy sleep…Things were better then, once would, never again…

30.   Cause I’m a bad scene/ and there’s everyone to blame but me…
31.   Such a lonely day/ and it’s mine/ the most loneliest day of my life/ Such a lonely day/ Should be banned/ is a day that I can’t stand/ The most loneliest day of my life/ The most loneliest day of my life

32.   Love of the superstitious kind/ Running circles round my brain, when I lost my way/ I love to steal this living sting/ My hurt is someone’s dream/ I’m tired of sleeping…
33.   We bring you fantasy/ We bring you pain/ It’s your one great chance for a miracle/ Or we’ll disappear/ Never to be seen again… We bring you beautiful/ We teach you sin/ We can give you a piece of the universe/ Or we can disappear/ Never to return again…

34.   One hot angel/ One cool devil/ You’re mind on a fantasy/ living on the ecstasy/ Give it all good, give it what you got, give it all a lot/ Pick it up and move/give it to the spot….Runaway Train/Running right off the track/ Runaway Train, running right off the track…
35.   And before you know what’s hit you/ you’ve all heard my point of view/ Trash is trash/ Have I got your attention/ There’s more that you should know/ There’s more I got to mention…

       I thought I'd do something a bit different this week for Open Link Night at D'verse.  So, in fact, I did nothing.  Actually nothing original anyhow.  What I did was a job of editing, and probably quite poorly at that.   Anyhow, it's a game.  See how many you can guess.

       I set my Ipod to random and jotted down every track that came up while I was writing something yesterday.  I originally did this for an entirely different reason, which I 'm not going to get into now, nor bother doing that other thing at all.  So today I was trying to figure out something interesting for OLN.  That's when the idea came to me.  I'd go back into each of these songs and pull out a stretch of lyric and try to edit a poem together using the lyric alone.  

        When I started I wasn't sure if this exercise would last or not.  I was wondering how I'd get some of these songs to jive together.  Luckily though, after ignoring the music itself, the words were easy to play with.  It was more trouble positioning them in a poetic order than finding a continuity of theme.  

       Anyhow 35 songs, see how many you can guess.  I'm sure some will be easy for most, but there are a couple kind of obscure/genre specific.  Have fun trying to guess and let me know if you like the piece, as I've never done this exact thing before.  Have used pieces of songs within poems but never in this capacity.

14 comments:

  1. Think I'm a bit of a dunce tonight. I got three hahaha. Why couldn't you have done movies, then I could have got at least a 95%..haha. Very interesting piece though, it does work well together. I really like the idea, must have taken some time to do too. I'll have to cheat and slap some in Google..haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well what a piece! Very original, in fact!
    Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude that is frickin awesome and you pieced them together nicely...can so hear this mix...and thought a few sounded familiar....

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a creative idea, one that can stimulate all kinds of ideas for poem. I think I totally struck out. If you went waaaay back in the archives, perhaps I'd be more successful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got number 11: After the Gold Rush. I shudder to think what would result if I did this with my playlist. My friends tease me that there is something for everyone to hate. I love the creativity that went into creating this found poem. I'll probably wind up talking myself into trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, this is way cool.

    I didn't know most of them.

    enjoyed the Neil Young snippet.

    I really like the one about the Universe working on a math problem that never ends.

    21 and 17 are of similar themes, and so true.

    Very interesting idea this!

    I saw myself in so many of these. We are so much more alike than not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. songs are awesome to hear because music entertains and inspires.


    Hello,

    Hope all is well.

    Appreciated your support to Jingle Poetry Community,

    Welcome sharing your talent in our new garden home.

    Random piece or old ones are welcome too.

    Bless you.
    Happy End of August.
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. funny idea..somehow this line spoke to me...have to think about why... I’m going for a walk/not the after-dinner kind...hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fred...you're sending me back with a few of these, and sending me on a hunt for some others...made for a wonderful read! You pulled the lyrics together and made quite the write. One would think it would be all helter skelter...put you pulled it off...just how long did this take?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed it! This is actually of poetry form called "found poetry" I did one a while back from song lyrics, too. http://shewriting.blogspot.com/2011/01/he-found-love.html

    I am not sure which songs these came from but my favorite lines were: She lights a match/ and pretends to sleep while everything burn and Shove all your problems under the rug/ Then wonder where the smell came from

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pat, you're never a dunce, but yeah I almost refrain from doing movie stuff as I know you'll have the answer there before I finish typing the clue in, lol, but don't feel bad, 3 is pretty good, lots of these songs are from groups you'd have to be into, and quite frankly, there are others in here where I'm sure you'd know them if you heard the music to go with them. Glad you enjoyed

    Dulce, Brian thanks, glad you liked the piece

    Jannie, thanks. That's interesting and it's enlightening a bit, as lyrical content does in fact genres, just the music may deceive the mind into think otherwise. Those two songs, while not on completely opposite spectrums they are from two totally different groups. and am honored to be like-minded to you. Very wonderful compliment, thank you:)

    Claudia, I've always liked that line too. I've always thought of it as this, an after dinner walk is just some casual stroll, more considered with assisting metabolism, other walks can be those you just wander about in contemplation- anyhow how I've always seen it, thanks

    Tash, glad you like this. A lot of the songs happened to be a bit older, a few newer but most pre 2000's. Couple of Candadian Bands in there as well, One I believe is from Toronto and the other someplace in BC. Took me about 2 hours going through the songs to find the lines, then about another hour to try to piece them together into some sort of cohesive poem. THanks again

    Victoria, thanks, glad you enjoyed it. There are a couple older songs in here, but I see you're point, Some of the earlier songs happen to be genre-specific/more lower keyed groups, thanks again

    Sheia, I know about Found Poetry but I never thought this would be considered as such, but now you mention it, I can see how it can be, and happen to agree. I did one a ways back, never put it online though, used some Faulkner, Hawthorne and Henry James. Did it for a class I took in Grad school. I'll check your Found poem out in a bit, thanks for linking up. Really glad you enjoyed the write. The lyrics from 17 are from a group called Faith No More and their song The Perfect Crime and the other lyrics are from a Punk band called the Descendants, that lyric continues with Rotting out on the inside, which Rotting Out happens to be the title. Thanks again

    Nara, thanks so much, really glad you enjoyed it. Yep, Neil Young, After the Gold Rush, that's pretty funny, something for everyone to hate- will probably steal it someday lol thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tend to be musically impaired - so I'm not going to hazard a guess. But my favorites were #7 and #17.

    I really liked what you did here, my musical impairment aside.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glynn, Thanks, no problem, glad you enjoyed the write. Thanks again:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, it's been a bit of time now. So I thought I'd write down all the referenced pieces.

    1. Afghan Whigs- Debonair
    2. Alice Cooper- Identity Crisises
    3. Bad Religion- A Walk
    4. Beatles- Helter Skelter
    5. Buggles- Video Killed The Radio Star
    6. Offspring- Crossroads
    7. Belly- Someone to Die For
    8. Ned's Atomic Dustbin- Kill Your Television
    9. Nine Inch Nails- Hurt
    10. Bloodhound Gang- Rang Dang
    11. Neil Young- After the Gold Rush
    12. Phish- Prince Caspian
    13. Blink 182- Romeo and Rebecca
    14. Slaughter- Gave me your heart
    15. Iron Maiden- Wicker Man
    16. Slipknot- Vermillion
    17. Faith No More- The Perfect Crime
    18. Smashing Pumpkins- Perfect
    19. Cirque Du Soleil- Alegria
    20. Cheap Trick- She's Tight
    21. Descendants- Rotting Out
    22. 311- Down
    23. Body Count- Winner Loses
    24. White Stripes- I Just don't know what to do with myself
    25. 5440- Alcohol Heart
    26. In Flames- The Puzzle
    27. ZZ Top- Planet of Women
    28. Modest Mouse- Never Ending Math Equation
    29. Weezer- My Name is Jonas
    30. Lagwagon- Bad Scene
    31. System of a Down- Lonely Day
    32. Catherine Wheel- Crank
    33. Dio- And all the fools sailed away
    34. AC/DC- Rock N Roll Train
    35. Mighty Mighty Bosstones- Bronzing the Garbage

    Anyhow, for those still sorting through liner notes:)

    ReplyDelete